Monday - July 05, 2010

From: Griffin, GA
Title: Plant identification from Griffin, GA

QUESTION:

We live in Georgia and we found a mystery plant growing next to our garage. It is a short tree with non-waxy, oblong, dark green leaves. The fruit or berries are not clustered and start out green but turn a bright orange. The fruit/berry is 1/2" in size. Got any ideas? Sorry but I don't have a picture.

ANSWER:

We can occasionally identify plants from descriptions, but far more often we need a picture.  If there is a way (relative, neighbor, friend) to get a digital image of your mystery plant, you can send us photos and we will do our best to identify it,  If it is not native to North America, your best would be to photograph it and submit the photos to the UBC Botanical Gardens Plant Identification Forum.