Tuesday - May 18, 2010

From: Corpus Christi, TX
Topic: Cacti and Succulents
Title: Should an agave bloom stalk be cut as soon as it flowers from Corpus Christi TX

QUESTION:

My agave plant is flowering, with a stalk approaching 12 feet tall. Should that stalk be cut once it flowers? I am concerned about wind catching it and pulling the whole plant out of the ground. I understand this means the plant will die, but I don't want it to go any sooner than it has to.

ANSWER:

The Agave has been putting up magnificent bloom stalks and managing not to be pulled out of the ground for millennia. We certainly wouldn't recommend cutting the stalk until you have fully enjoyed the spectacular show. After it finishes blooming, go ahead and cut the stalk off (not an easy thing to do) because it's pretty unattractive and as it dries up, could topple over and hit something.

American century plant
Agave americana

Parry's agave
Agave parryi

Parry's agave
Agave parryi ssp. neomexicana

Coastal agave
Agave shawii

Thorncrest century plant
Agave univittata

Nevada agave
Agave utahensis var. nevadensis