Suppport the plant database you love!

Thursday - April 01, 2010

Title: Information about non-native Feijoa sellowiana (pineapple guave)

QUESTION:

Does a pineapple guava thrive in Austin, zip 78735? What height does it grow and what watering is needed?

ANSWER:

The focus and expertise of the Wildflower Center is in plants native to North America.  Feijoa sellowiana (pineapple guava) is native to Brazil, Colombia, Uruguay and Argentina and is not within our area of expertise.  I suggest that you Google the scientific name to find more information about the tree.  Here is something from TAMU Aggie Horticulture about this plant and there appears to be a wealth of information about the plant on the internet.