Tuesday - November 24, 2009

From: Malakoff, TX
Title: Will Texas madrone (Arbutus xalapensis) grow in northeast Texas?

QUESTION:

Will Texas madrones grow by Cedar Creek Lake and if so, do you know where I could purchase them "sort of" locally?

ANSWER:

Arbutus xalapensis (Texas madrone) is a beautiful and unusual tree but Mr. Smarty Plants thinks it is very unlikely that it would grow by Cedar Creek Lake, Texas. You can see that Henderson or Van Zandt County are well out of its distribution range.  The soils and climate where it grows naturally are very different from those in your area.  Since it is very temperamental and not easy to grow even in its native range, I would be amazed if it would grow there.  Natives of Texas in Kerrville specializes in madrones.

Arbutus xalapensis

Arbutus xalapensis

Arbutus xalapensis