Sunday - August 30, 2009

From: Lombard, IL
Title: Identifcation of flower in a bouquet

My boyfriend bought a bouquet and I'd like to know the name of the kind of green flower that looks like a mum but the petals look like rich, full grass or like a tall shag carpet. It has a stem with leaves so I imagine it is a flower but it is green.

From your description I don't recognize this as a flower from a North American native plant.  Our focus and expertise at the Wildflower Center are with plants native to North America.  The fact that this flower is in a bouquet that your boyfriend bought at a florist also leads me to believe it isn't a native plant.  I suggest that you either take the flower, or take a picture of the flower, to a local florist.  They are likely to know what it is.  If you think it is a native plant, however, please take photos and send them to us—we will do our best to identify it.  To read instructions for submitting photos, please visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page.