Suppport the plant database you love!

Monday - August 22, 2005

From: Fair Lawn, NJ
Title: Smarty Plants on basketplant

QUESTION:

I want to buy a basketplant (Callisia fragrans). Do you know where can I buy it?

ANSWER:

The basketplant (Callisia fragrans) was introduced from Central America and is not native to North America. As such, it is listed in Florida as a Category II invasive exotic. Although it would not likely survive a New Jersey winter, because of its invasive potential you should consider it only as a houseplant. You should be able to locate it by calling nurseries in your area or by searching on the internet. If you visit the National Suppliers Directory on the Wildflower Center web page, you can find lists of nurseries in New Jersey or the Mid-Atlantic region that specialize in native plants.