From: San Antonio, TX
Title: Transplanting a grapevine in San Antonio

QUESTION:

I planted a small grapevine that is growing well. I want to move it, (only tiny green grapes now, should be merlot) and wondering if I can do it now, mid May, or do I have to wait until fall? Not really interested in eating grapes, love it for foliage! Thank you for your prompt reply!

ANSWER:

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is committed to the care, protection and propagation of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which they are being grown. Although there are some grapes, Vitis mustangensis (mustang grape), for example, that are native to Texas and also to the San Antonio area, we are betting that a merlot grape is not one of them. However, a vine is a vine, and we found this [email protected] How to Replant a Grape Vine that should answer most of your questions.  Considering the comments in this article on moisture loss from the big grape leaves, it might be better to move it in the late fall, when it's dormant, and won't be losing so much water.