Saturday - March 20, 2004

Topic: Plant Laws
Title: Weed Laws
Answered by: Sage Kawecki

QUESTION:

Help! My neighborhood wants to mow down my native landscape! Can you suggest a resource regarding city regulations and native plant landscaping?

ANSWER:

Cities and neighborhood associations often adopt weed laws and landscape ordinances that prohibit grasses and flowers over a certain height in an effort to prevent untidy or abandoned properties from becoming a hazard or devaluing property values. Unfortunately, these same laws and ordinances become restrictive in attempting to define beauty, and can conflict with native landscaping. As the native plant landscaping movement gains more momentum, the need to revise these laws and ordinances will arise. The EPA has developed an informative website that discusses how to challenge weed laws at: their website. I also recommend reviewing an informative article posted from the Wild Ones website.