Saturday - April 04, 2009

From: Albany, TX
Title: Grasses for creek area near Abilene, Texas

QUESTION:

I have constructed several low water crossings on a live creek in the Abilene,Texas area and need to find out the best grass to plant to hold secure the soil and keep down erosion. The creek does runs once a year or so. The areas I am trying to plant are about 70% sunlight and it is possible for me to water the seed until established.

ANSWER:

Below are some native grasses that all occur in or near Taylor County that should be be ideal for application to your low water crossings.

Andropogon glomeratus (bushy bluestem)

Elymus canadensis (Canada wildrye)

Pascopyrum smithii (western wheatgrass)

Setaria leucopila (streambed bristlegrass) with more information

Sorghastrum nutans (Indiangrass)

Eleocharis montevidensis (sand spikerush) is not technically a grass (it is a rush), but it should be very good for areas that stay moist most of the year.

Andropogon glomeratus

Elymus canadensis

Pascopyrum smithii

Setaria leucopila

Sorghastrum nutans

Eleocharis montevidensis