Suppport the plant database you love!

Sunday - March 08, 2009

From: austin, TX
Topic: General Botany, Trees
Title: Is Esperanza a deciduous or an evergreen plant?

QUESTION:

I've read that Esperanza/Tecoma Stans is an evergreen. I planted one last year that seemed very healthy, but it dropped its leaves in late fall and looks (at least) dormant now. Will it come back or is it most likely dead?

ANSWER:

Esperanza,  Tecoma stans (yellow trumpetbush), in the Austin area is deciduous although it may be evergreen in other parts of its range. The plants that I am seeing around Austin are just beginning to leaf out, having dropped their leaves in late fall. You might try removing a small portion of bark with your thumbnail on an upper stem to see if there is green tissue below the bark. If there is, the plant should be leafing out soon.  

The three links below can give you more information about your Tecoma stans plant.   

Floridata

University of Arizona Pima County Extension

Aggie Horticulture

Yellow bells
Tecoma stans