Sunday - November 09, 2008

From: Purcellville, VA
Title: Plant Identification

QUESTION:

I recently found a GIANT green seed pod around my small town in Northern Virginia. It's about 1 ft. 3 in. in diameter (15 in.) and its making me very curious as to what exactly it is. For the life of me I do not know. I would include a picture alas, I can't upload one to this message. :( Perhaps you can help me figure out what it is?

ANSWER:

You haven't seen any alien spaceships around lately, have you? Even for the tropics, that would be one whopper of a seed pod. Try using these instructions to send us a picture:

Plant Identification

Need help with a plant ID? Send us an email following the instructions below.

1. Tell us where and when you found the plant and describe the site where it occurred.

2. Take several high resolution images including details of leaves, stems, flowers, fruit, and the overall plant.

3. Save images in JPEG format.

4. Send email with images attached to [email protected]. Please enter Plant ID Request on the subject line of your email.

If that doesn't work, try contacting the Virginia Cooperative Extension Office for Loudon County.  This website has phone numbers, website address, etc. and they may be more familiar with your find than we are.