Sunday - November 09, 2008

Title: Purchase source for Jamaica Sawgrass

QUESTION:

Any idea where to find this plant? Does the center sell them? Cladium mariscus ssp. jamaicense (Crantz) Kükenth. Jamaica swamp sawgrass, Jamaican Saw-grass, Saw-grass Cyperaceae (Sedge Family) Synonyms: Cladium jamaicense, Cladium leptostachyum, Mariscus jamaicensis USDA Symbol: CLMAJ USDA Native Status: Native to U.S.

ANSWER:

Much to our surprise, and in spite of the common name, Cladium mariscus ssp. jamaicense (Jamaica swamp sawgrass) is native to Texas and grows in limestone soil in fresh water at the edges of wet areas, streams, ponds, and lakes. It is found in the Rio Grande Plains, south east Texas, Edwards Plateau, and Trans-Pecos.

Since you live in Austin, you probably know that the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center has two plant sales a year, one in April and one in October. Other than a few plants that are occasionally on sale at the Wild Ideas Store at the Center, plants are sold at no other time. We found the plant list for this past Fall Sale, which did, indeed, include Jamaica swamp sawgrass.  Please understand that these lists are provided with the stipulation that they are plants which have been sold at sales in the past, the list is updated a few weeks before the sale, and there is no guarantee that any of the listed plants will be offered again.

If you don't want to wait until the Spring Sale to look for the plant, go to our Native Plant Suppliers site, type in your town and state in the "Enter Search Location" box, and you will get a list of native plant nurseries, seed companies and landscape consultants in the general area. All have contact information, websites, phone numbers, etc., so you can inquire about availability before you go shopping. 

Cladium mariscus ssp. jamaicense