Thursday - September 18, 2008

From: CHANDLER, AZ
Title: Plant identification, green and tube-like

QUESTION:

LOOKING FOR NAME OF A GREEN TUBE-LIKE PLANT (SHAPED LIKE A CALLA LILY). THE VEINS ARE VISIBLE. MAYBE IN CLUSTER

ANSWER:

The native plants that match your description are the pitcher plants in the Genus Sarracenia, another pitcher plant—Darlingtonia californica (California pitcherplant), Arisaema triphyllum (Jack in the pulpit) and Arisaema dracontium (green dragon).  None of these occur in Arizona, however.

If none of these are the plant you are looking for, please send us photos and we will be happy to try to identify it. You will find instructions for submitting photos on the Plant Identification page.

Sarracenia alata

Sarracenia flava

Sarracenia leucophylla

Sarracenia minor

Sarracenia psittacina

Sarracenia purpurea

Darlingtonia californica

Arisaema triphyllum

Arisaema dracontium