Tuesday - September 02, 2008

From: Hampton, TN
Title: Plant Identification in Tennessee

QUESTION:

I live in upper East Tennessee and all my life I have seen a flowering bush we call a Bubbie (or Bubby). It grows to an average approximate height of 6 feet and blooms in the early summer. The blooms are dark maroon, coarse and smell like apples or strawberries. My grandson is submitting seed from one of these bushes for a science project and we have as yet not found a proper name for the bush. Could you please help?

ANSWER:

Your plant sounds very interesting, but we can't identify it from your description alone. Below, we will give you instructions for submitting some photographs, and we will do our best to identify it.

Need help with a plant ID? Send us an email following the instructions below.

1. Tell us where and when you found the plant and describe the site where it occurred.

2. Take several high resolution images including details of leaves, stems, flowers, fruit, and the overall plant.

3. Save images in JPEG format.

4. Send email with images attached to [email protected]. Please enter Plant ID Request on the subject line of your email.