Thursday - September 23, 2004

Topic: Transplants, Wildflowers
Title: Transplanting wildflowers before construction begins
Answered by: Stephen Brueggerhoff

QUESTION:

Can wildflowers be transplanted? I'm building a house and wonder what can I save before the builder clears the lot.

ANSWER:

Your question really depends on if the plants are annuals or perennials. If annual, it is best to purchase or collect seed. If perennial, then I would attempt the transplant. Certain species are more forgiving than others when enduring stress from transplantation, and your action really relies on proper identification. We do provide an on-line service to assist with future planning for landscaping, as well as providing some assistance with proper identification. Access our Native Plants Database from our Native Plant Information Network. NPIN offers timely articles, simple tools for what grows well in your ecoregion, great information profiles on particular plant species, and wonderful images.