Thursday - June 23, 2016

From: Jackson, MS
Topic: General Botany, Trees
Title: Southern Live Oak Authority for Jackson MS
Answered by: Larry Larson

QUESTION:

Who are the foremost authorities on Southern Live Oaks? May need expert testimony to oppose cutting of 50 year-old live oaks in boulevard of Riverside Drive in Jackson, MS

ANSWER:

Sorry - - - Neither Mr Smarty Plants nor the Wildflower Center are in position to declare “foremost authorities”. If you have access to Botanical experts at Jackson State University you may be able to get some help there.  Not necessarily directly as the subject matter experts – but they will have access to academic reference lists which will connect authors to subjects and also to citation lists that will show you which of those experts are referenced most often by their peers [One of the best ways to argue that somebody is a “foremost expert”.]

As a starter, you could consider the authors of papers cited by public agencies.   Following are some links to this kind of webpage.   Check out the bottom of these articles for their references.

Smithsonian Marine Station at Fort Pierce:   Quercus Virginiana
U.S. Forest Service Fire Effects Information System
USDA Plant Guide
University of Florida IFAS Extension

Coastal live oak
Quercus virginiana

Coastal live oak
Quercus virginiana

Coastal live oak
Quercus virginiana