Friday - March 18, 2016

From: Southlake, TX
Title: Using Coffee Grounds under Live Oaks in Texas?

QUESTION:

Can you add coffee grounds to live oak tree?

ANSWER:

Yes! In fact, Austin, Texas has a city-wide program to divert coffee grounds from the landfill and put them to work in the garden. The program, called Ground to Ground suggests incorporating the coffee grounds into the garden soil - up to 25% volume.

They say that the coffee grounds are:

• Great immediate and slow-release source of Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium.
  • Contains a range of micronutrients such as Calcium and Magnesium.
  • Slightly acidic – great for Austin’s alkaline soils!
  • A 2012 study showed that lutein, B-carotene, and chlorophylls increased in greens proportionally to the amount of grounds sown into garden soil (0 – 20%).  Biomass of harvest also increased with the addition of grounds.
  • Won’t burn plants or pollute groundwater; microorganisms love grounds!
  • Repels snails, slugs, pillbugs, and most cats.

Escarpment live oak
Quercus fusiformis

Escarpment live oak
Quercus fusiformis

Escarpment live oak
Quercus fusiformis

Escarpment live oak
Quercus fusiformis

Escarpment live oak
Quercus fusiformis