Thursday - March 10, 2016

Topic: Wildflower Center, Shrubs
Title: Location of Elbow Bush and Gregg's Saddlebush at the Wildflower Center
Answered by: Mike Tomme

QUESTION:

I have twice looked for Forestiera pubescens (Elbow Plant) and Mortonia greggi (Gregg's Saddlebush) in your gardens and have been unable to find. I have looked on the trails as well. Would you be able to direct me to a specific area to look for and photograph these two plants? Thanks for any help you can provide.

ANSWER:

There are a number of Forestiera pubescens (Elbow bush) (you can see this plant has a bunch of common names) located in the butterfly garden near the insectory, next to the short grass meadow. They are also fairly common out on the Restoration Research Trail and are most readily identified by the right angle at which twigs branch from the main stem.

There is a Mortonia greggii (Gregg's saddlebush) located next to the seating area across from the formal homeowner's inspiration garden. It is identified as Afinador. Again, several common names.

Elbowbush
Forestiera pubescens

Gregg's saddlebush
Mortonia greggii