Monday - June 27, 2016

From: Freehold, NJ
Topic: Plant Lists, Erosion Control, Shade Tolerant, Shrubs
Title: Shade Shrubs for a NJ Slope

QUESTION:

I live in central NJ and have a 15' shaded slope behind my home with a creek on the bottom. The slope erodes a little every year and I want to plant native plants on the slope to stop the erosion. What would you recommend?

ANSWER:

Greetings,

The following are New Jersey low growing, native shrubs that grow in shaded and dry conditions (i.e. slopes) that you might try to achieve some erosion control on your slope behind your house. These were determined by searching the Native Plant Database. www.wildflower.org/plants

Kinnikinnick (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi)

New Jersey tea (Ceanothus americanus)

Northern bush honeysuckle (Diervilla lonicera)

Black huckleberry (Gaylussacia baccata)

Eastern teaberry (Gaulteria procumbens)

Shrubby St. John's wort (Hypericaum prolificum)

Coralberry (Symphocarpos orbiculatus)

Late lowbush blueberry (Vaccinium angustifolium)

Kinnikinnick
Arctostaphylos uva-ursi

New jersey tea
Ceanothus americanus

Northern bush honeysuckle
Diervilla lonicera

Black huckleberry
Gaylussacia baccata

Eastern teaberry
Gaultheria procumbens

Shrubby st. john's-wort
Hypericum prolificum

Coralberry
Symphoricarpos orbiculatus

Lowbush blueberry
Vaccinium angustifolium