Wednesday - March 09, 2016

Title: Vine to attract Butterflies and Hummingbirds in Austin
Answered by: Mike Tomme

QUESTION:

We'd like suggestions for a climbing, flowering, butterfly/hummingbird friendly plant for our Austin, TX backyard!!

ANSWER:

You've left out some critical information in your question. How much sun will it get? What kind of soil will it be growing in? What kind of structure will it be growing on?

I recommernd you go to wildflower.org, click on Native Plants and then Native Plant Database. On that page you can enter in your specific sun and soil conditions and the color and time for you would like it to bloom. Also specify that you are looking for a perennial vine. 

A search like this may return over a hundred plants. Many of these will not be readily available in local nurseries so you can eliminate them. Others, including popular vines like Campsis radicans (Trumpet creeper) and Bignonia capreolata (Crossvine) can be quite destructive to wooden structures and will be best grown on a masonary or metal support structure.

Now, having said all that. the abscence of crucial information won't keep Mr. Smarty Plants from having an opinion. My choice would be Lonicera sempervirens (Coral honeysuckle). Attracts hummingbirds and butterflies and has a long bloom period.

Coral honeysuckle
Lonicera sempervirens

Coral honeysuckle
Lonicera sempervirens