Sunday - February 21, 2016

From: Las Vegas, NV
Topic: Poisonous Plants, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Is Penstemon Poisonous to Dogs?

QUESTION:

Is Penstemon palmeri poisonous to dogs? I couldn't find in ASPA guide.

ANSWER:

Although Penstemon is not listed on the ASPA guide to toxic and non-toxic plants,there is information online that Penstemon does accumulate Selenium and additional information that an excess of Selenium is not healthy for pets. So it would be wise to keep your dogs away from Penstemon if you can.

The Sheltr Group website has a different comment about Penstemon that you might be interested in hearing ... "Certain plants react poorly to dog urine. These include: Penstemon, heuchera and Woodwardia."

Palmer's penstemon
Penstemon palmeri

Palmer's penstemon
Penstemon palmeri

Palmer's penstemon
Penstemon palmeri

Palmer's penstemon
Penstemon palmeri