Saturday - January 30, 2016

From: New Braunfels, TX
Title: Pruning Leggy Santolina

QUESTION:

We are members of the society and have loved your section offering advice. We have green santolina that is becoming quite leggy. I would like to prune them to get them more compact come spring and summer. Can I do it and how much do you recommend?

ANSWER:

Santolina virens (green lavender cotton) is native to the Mediterranean region so you won't find any details about it on the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center website. But I do know that you can prune it back quite hard and it will resprout easily from the base of the plant. Do this in late winter just before it starts to put on a lot of new growth. You can start by pruning 1/3 of the branches or alternatively cut the entire plant back to 1/2 the height.