Friday - July 08, 2016

From: Round Rock, TX
Topic: Groundcovers, Shade Tolerant, Grasses or Grass-like, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Plants for a moist, shady spot in central Texas

QUESTION:

I am looking for a plant that will grow in almost full shade with plenty of moisture along a fence. We are looking at putting down some flagstone with possibly some moss growing in between, but we don't want it to take over the St. Augustine that is in the rest of the lawn. Thank you!

ANSWER:

I guess that you are looking for plants that are relatively low-growing near the flagstones.  If you go to our Native Plant Database page and click on Combination Search you can enter the parameters that suit your needs and get a list of species that may be suitable.

I have taken a few species from that listing that I know do well in central Texas.  Salvia lyrata (Lyreleaf sage)Aquilegia chrysantha (Golden columbine)Aquilegia chrysantha var. hinckleyana (Hinckley's golden columbine)Packera obovata (Golden groundsel)Scutellaria ovata (Heartleaf skullcap)Thelypteris kunthii (Wood fern), Carex amphibola (Creek sedge),  Salvia coccinea (Scarlet sage) and Ruellia humilis (Low wild petunia).  These plants thrive in shady and moist sites.

Many of these species should be available at plant nurseries in your area.  Examples are Barton Creek Nursery and the Natural Gardener in the Austin vicinity.

Lyreleaf sage
Salvia lyrata

Prairie petunia
Ruellia humilis

Hinckley's golden columbine
Aquilegia chrysantha var. hinckleyana

Golden groundsel
Packera obovata

Heartleaf skullcap
Scutellaria ovata

Wood fern
Thelypteris kunthii

Scarlet sage
Salvia coccinea