Wednesday - January 13, 2016

From: KATY, TX
Region: Other
Topic: Non-Natives, Plant Identification
Title: ID for Caribbean mystery plants.

QUESTION:

I AM TRYING TO FIND THE COMMON NAME FOR TWO FLOWERS I TOOK PICTURES OF ON A CARIBBEAN CRUISE. I TOOK ONE IN HONDURAS AND ONE IN GRAND CAYMAN. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHERE I CAN GO TO TO GET HELP IN IDENTIFYING THE TWO FLOWER?

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants loves a good botanical mystery!  Unfortunately, his knowledge of plants that are not native to North America is pretty limited.  Your best resource for finding the identity of your mystery plants is probably the UBC (University of British Columbia) Botanical Garden Forums.  They have an excellent track record of identifying plants from all over the world, especially tropicals.  Good luck!