Saturday - January 23, 2016

From: San Jose, CA
Topic: Groundcovers, Herbs/Forbs, Vines
Title: Pet Friendly Groundcovers for CA

QUESTION:

I am looking for pet friendly, groundcover plants in San Jose, CA.

ANSWER:

Let’s start first with a list of native plants for your area. Take a look at the Native Plant Database on the www.wildflower.org website and put in the following search criteria: State = California, habit = vine, duration = perennial, light requirement = shade, soil moisture = dry.  Then select the light requirements and soil moisture levels you have. This will generate a list of vines that could act like groundcover plants.

Then cross-reference the native vines list with the poisonous plants list on the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) website. This website lists plants that are toxic or non-toxic to pets.

Best wishes in your search.

Snapdragon vine
Maurandella antirrhiniflora

American vetch
Vicia americana

American vetch
Vicia americana

Orange honeysuckle
Lonicera ciliosa

Pride of california
Lathyrus splendens

Western white clematis
Clematis ligusticifolia