Monday - April 16, 2007

From: Wichita Falls, TX
Title: Planting time for Helianthus annuus in Wichita Co., TX

I need to know when is the best time to plant sunflowers in the Wichita Falls, Texas area? Thank you for your time.

Both Helianthus annuus (common sunflower) and Helianthus petiolaris (prairie sunflower) are native to Wichita County, Texas, and both may be sown outdoors after the average date of the last frost. You can start them inside earlier to be transplanted outdoors when danger of frost is past. Since it is mid-April now, if you plant them right away, you should still be able to have blooms by late summer. Please note the advice on using treated seeds of H. annuus to ensure better germination.

Helianthus annuus

Helianthus petiolaris