Wednesday - June 22, 2016

From: Bluemont, VA
Topic: Plant Lists, User Comments, Deer Resistant
Title: Deer Resistance Input from Northern VA
Answered by: Larry Larson

QUESTION:

Hello. I live in the deer infested woods of Northern VA. I am always looking for plants that deer have little interest in to cover other plants. The deer generally have little interest in mints (Pycnanthemum sp) and some Solidago sp. and I have had some luck in using these as cover. I have never seen a mint chewed by deer, yet, in the database it says they are not deer resistant. Could someone correct this? It isn't just a matter of deer in some areas not eating certain species that they eat in other areas..deer simply do not eat mints! This is important to many people like myself who might be searching for pollinator magnets that are deer resistant! No need to answer this question. just asking that the info be edited! Thank-you!

ANSWER:

Thanks for the input!   Mr Smarty Plants is doing what he can by publishing this comment and bringing it to the attention of the "Powers-that-be".

I did a quick internet check and AdviceFromTheHerbLady.com had pretty much the same input, while GrowOrganic.com was a little less specific.

Now, the Wildflower Center does have a Special Collection list of Natives that are Deer-Resistant.  When I reviewed that, I did find Solidago nemoralis (Gray goldenrod) on that list, but you're right - I did not find any Pycnanthemum Sp. on that list.

Still, I'm not the guy that inputs or proofreads those records - but I will let them know! 

Virginia mountain mint
Pycnanthemum virginianum

Whorled mountainmint
Pycnanthemum verticillatum

Narrowleaf mountain mint
Pycnanthemum tenuifolium

Gray goldenrod
Solidago nemoralis

Gray goldenrod
Solidago nemoralis

Gray goldenrod
Solidago nemoralis