Monday - October 19, 2015

From: San Antonio, TX
Topic: Shrubs, Wildflowers
Title: Native plants that do not attract any kind of wildlife.

QUESTION:

Hi I live in Bexar County, Texas and I was wondering what would be some good NATIVE plants that could be planted in yards that do not attract any kind of wildlife (so no berries, nuts, fruits, thick cover for shelter)? Redbud, Mountain Laurel, and Texas Lantana have come to mind since they would look pretty in the landscape of front yards.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants is confused by your inquiry. In the scheme of nature, plants and animals interact all of the time. Plants produce green leaves which attract herbivores, they produce pretty flowers which attract pollinators, and a great number of plants provide shelter for birds and other animals.

The three plants that you mention; Redbud Cercis canadensis var. texensis (Texas redbud), Texas Mountain Laurel Sophora secundiflora (Texas mountain laurel) and Texas Lantana Lantana urticoides (Texas lantana) all produce flowers, fruits, and seeds.

I'm sorry, but I don't think that I can come up with a satisfactory answer for this question.