Sunday - October 25, 2015

From: Ft Worth, TX
Topic: Container Gardens, Planting, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Making a raised garden bed in Texas

QUESTION:

I just bought a house in Ft Worth Texas and the soil is undisturbed red clay. I was told I probably would need to build a raised bed to make a 25 ft by 4-6 ft butterfly/humming bird/bee native flower bed as there is little or no existing drainage. How deep should I make the bed and what type of soil should I put in it?

ANSWER:

Raised beds are a good idea for gardening in uncooperative soils.  Searching for "how to build a raised garden bed in Texas" on Google brings up a number of sites offering tips.  I chose this one as a good example to follow.  I believe it has all the information you will need. Happy gardening!