Tuesday - October 20, 2015

Topic: Non-Natives, Diseases and Disorders, Trees
Title: Is my Crimson queen maple dying?

QUESTION:

Is my Crimson queen maple dying if it's leaves are turning brown?

ANSWER:

The mission of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is to increase the sustainable use and conservation of native wildflowers, plants and landscapes. The Crimson Queen Maple (Acer palmatum var. ) is a cultivar of a maple that is native to Japan and Korea., and is outside our area of expertice at the Ladybird Johnson WIldflower Center.

You can do the “scratch test” (also know as the thumbnail test”)t to see if it is still alive. Select a branch and remove some of the bark with your thumbnail. You are looking for green tissue beneath the bark. If you find none at the first site, continue testing further down the stem. If you get to the bottom of the plant without finding any green tissue, the tree is probably dead.

Here is a link that tells you more about the Crimson Queen Maple.