Friday - October 02, 2015

From: Cranston, RI
Topic: Container Gardens, Pruning, Seasonal Tasks, Shrubs
Title: How to prune a Lantana tree

QUESTION:

I have a potted Lantana tree that will come indoors for the winter. It is quite large and should I prune it back for the winter? If yes, how do I prune it?

ANSWER:

Lantana urticoides (Texas lantana) can be pruned drastically if desired, and this is the normal treatment for Lantana left in the ground for the winter.  Pruning back to one or two buds per branch would be safe for you if you will keep your plant in a cool place overwinter.  Or, if you have a sunroom bright and warm enough for the Lantana to continue growing, prune it back as suits you, knowing that regrowth will increase the canopy's diameter.