Saturday - October 24, 2015

Topic: Problem Plants, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Problems with Mexican feathergrass

QUESTION:

I live in Austin. I've recently seen negative comments re: Mexican feathergrass. Is it native to this area? Is it becoming a problem? I have had it in my yard for years and never considered it a problem. I do notice that it can be quite prolific, but it's also very easy to pull out.

ANSWER:

You are lucky to have thriving Nassella tenuissima (Mexican feathergrass).  It is native to the mountains of west Texas and New Mexico, where it receives good drainage and relatively dry soils.  In our area the main problem is keeping it alive.  Mexican feathergrass can suffer from over-care, i.e., too much moisture and the heavy application of mulch.  Our good intentions often result in root rot. So keep doing what you have been doing and enjoy this beautiful grass.