Thursday - September 10, 2015

From: BLOOMINGDALE, IL
Topic: Herbs/Forbs
Title: Will Convallaria majuscula grow in Texas?

QUESTION:

Can I transplant Convallaria majuscula, American lily-of-the-valley I originally brought from northern Wisconsin a few years back to the Chicago area to my new home in Buda Texas?

ANSWER:

Welcome to a new world of gardening in Texas. In the wild, the closest that Convallaria majuscula grows to Texas is Georgia as it prefers the climate and soil conditions of the southeast (Georgia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia).It prefers a woodland environment and can be invasive in ideal conditions. It might be too hot and dry during the summer (which will force it into a prolonged dormancy) and perhaps not cold long enough in the winter to really perform well in Buda Texas, but you could try. A shady, moist location with lots of deciduous leaf compost as a mulch would be a good site for it. Make sure it is contained with a barrier so it doesn't become invasive too.

American lily-of-the-valley
Convallaria majuscula

American lily-of-the-valley
Convallaria majuscula

American lily-of-the-valley
Convallaria majuscula