Thursday - September 10, 2015

From: Belton, MO
Topic: Poisonous Plants, Shrubs
Title: Non-toxic evergreen shrub around duck pen

QUESTION:

I live in Zone 6a, and am looking for a non-toxic evergreen shrub to use around our fence that pens in our ducks. It doesn't have to be native to our particular state. I have 74 feet of fence on the side we want to address first.

ANSWER:

We must tell you that we are bound by our mission and by institutional philosophy to recommend only those plant species native to a given area.  This is the very heart of what we do and what we're all about.  Unfortunately, we do not know of a single evergreen shrub species native to your area that would be suitable for the use you describe.  In general, though, unless your shrubs are fruit-bearing, there is little likelihood that your ducks will pay much attention to them.  Some shrubs, such as hollies, have male and female plants.  If choosing such a species, look for male cultivars.