Thursday - September 10, 2015

From: Arlington, VA
Topic: Turf, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Native turf grass for Arlington, VA.

QUESTION:

Hi, could you please provide me with a recommendation for a native turf grass to plant in a large commercial area in Arlington, Virginia. Currently Kentucky 31 is being used, but we would like to identify a hardy native alternative or a native mix to plant instead in the future in order to minimize the need for fertilization and irrigation.

ANSWER:

We do not know of a grass species native to your area that can be used as a turf grass.  The most widely grown North American native grass that is used in lawns is Buffalograss (Bouteloua dactyloides) and it is sometimes used in Virginia.  However, your state is far outside its native range and we cannot recommend it for use there.

Your county's Cooperative Extension Service office should have lots of great information on turf grasses and their care and maintenance for your area.