Saturday - August 22, 2015

From: Washington, DC
Title: Source of seeds or plants for 5 regions of Virginia

QUESTION:

I am a teacher and am planning a lesson about regional plants of Virginia. I would like to create a type of planter where we can plant seeds from each of the 5 regions in Virginia (Appalachian Plateau, Valley and Ridge, Blue Ridge, Piedmont and Tidewater). Do you know of a collection of seeds I can purchase that would encompass these five regions and that would do fairly well as a group planting?

ANSWER:

You can search in our National Suppliers Directory for nurseries and seed companies in your area, but your best bet might be to visit the Virginia Native Plant Society webpage to see all the resources they have.  For instance, they have a list of 2015 Native Plant Sales across the area and an up-to-date list of native plant nurseries in the area.  They also have links to the various chapters with contact information in the regions you want to represent (e.g., Blue Ridge Wildflower Society and Piedmont Chapter).  Many local chapters have plant and seed exchanges at their meetings.  

This sounds like a very interesting project.  Best of luck!