Wednesday - August 12, 2015

From: Raleigh, NC
Title: Vine with big flowers or fruits

QUESTION:

I need a vine that will take over a 8ft wide x 12 ft high lattice. It will be the center piece of the front of the house. It will be In sun almost constantly throughout the day. I'd like something with big flowers or fruits, that attracts a lot of attention.

ANSWER:

Here are some recommendations for vines with showy flowers:

Bignonia capreolata (Crossvine) is evergreen.

Campsis radicans (Trumpet creeper) may be agressive—read the comments on the species page.

Gelsemium rankinii (Swamp jessamine) is evergreen and will do well in moist areas. Both this and the next species (Carolina jessamine) have toxic properties.  Read the discussion on the Carolina jessamine species page.

Gelsemium sempervirens (Carolina jessamine) is evergreen and will do well in drier areas.

Lonicera sempervirens (Coral honeysuckle) is evergreen.

Passiflora incarnata (Purple passionflower) has showy flowers but is not a woody vine.

Wisteria frutescens (American wisteria) is our native wisteria.  If you decide on this one, be sure that what you buy is not either of the non-native invasive wisteriasWisteria sinensis (Chinese wisteria), or Wisteria floribunda (Japanese wisteria).

You can find more vines for your area by doing a COMBINATION SEARCH in our Native Plant Database and choosing North Carolina from the Select State or Province option and Vine from Habit (general appearance.

Crossvine
Bignonia capreolata

Crossvine
Bignonia capreolata

Trumpet creeper
Campsis radicans

Trumpet creeper
Campsis radicans

Swamp jessamine
Gelsemium rankinii

Carolina jessamine
Gelsemium sempervirens

Carolina jessamine
Gelsemium sempervirens

Coral honeysuckle
Lonicera sempervirens

Purple passionflower
Passiflora incarnata

American wisteria
Wisteria frutescens