Wednesday - July 29, 2015

From: Pleasanton, TX
Topic: Butterfly Gardens, Propagation, Seeds and Seeding, Shade Tolerant, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Growing Green milkweed vine from seed

QUESTION:

I was given some seed for the pearl milkweed vine which I intend to plant, but I can find no information on whether to stratify or scarify them or just plant them. I know some milkweeds require stratification and others scarification, but have been unable to find anything about these. Help!

ANSWER:

I have found no special technique for germinating Matelea reticulata (Green milkweed vine) seed.  It seems to be assumed that all our local native milkweed seed respond well to the same preplanting treatment.  Here is a procedure recommended by Native American Seed.  It involves washing out natural inhibitors and then stratification. Scarification doesn't seem necessary.  Good luck in your efforts.  This milkweed is a host plant for the endangered Monarch butterfly.

Green milkweed vine
Matelea reticulata

Green milkweed vine
Matelea reticulata