Open by reservation only. Masks required in all areas of the Wildflower Center.

Monday - August 24, 2015

From: Philadelphia, PA
Topic: Rain Gardens, Grasses or Grass-like, Herbs/Forbs, Shrubs, Trees
Title: Need suggestions for plants for bioswales in Philadelphia, PA

QUESTION:

Hello, Are there a handful of species you would recommend for inclusion in bioswales throughout the US? I realize plants need to be selected based on climate, but I'm wondering if there are two or three that consistently thrive in diverse climates. Thank you.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants often receives inquiries regarding bioswales and rain gardens. He will provide links for you to two publications that have tips for establishing rain gardens, and three previously answered questions; the first publication is from University of Wisconsin Extension , and the other is closer to your home; the Brooklyn Botanical Garden .

The previous answers are are from the eastern part of the US:

Philadelphia, PA

Hendersonville, NC 

Baltimore, MD

You can research the plants that are suggested further by going to our Native Plant Database, and entering the name of the plant in the Search Box. This will bring up the plant’s  NPIN page which has information about  its characteristics, growth requirements, and in most cases, pictures.

By clicking on “ Recommend Species Lists” just above the search box, you can get a list of recommended species  for Pennsylvania.