Tuesday - June 16, 2015

From: Ben Lomond, CA
Topic: Plant Identification, Grasses or Grass-like, Herbs/Forbs
Title: A blue-eyed grass with salmon-colored blooms?

QUESTION:

Has anyone heard of a blue-eyed grass variety that has salmon-colored blooms? I have a photo if needed.

ANSWER:

I suspect you have seen a close relative of Sisyrinchium bellum (Western blue-eyed grass) that has yellow or golden petals. Petals of this species, Sisyrinchium californicum (Golden blue-eyed grass), may seem salmon-colored under some conditions.  A different species, Sisyrinchium rosulatum (Annual blue-eyed grass), sometimes has yellowish flowers, but it does not seem to be found in your area.