Sunday - May 17, 2015

From: Newtown Square, PA
Topic: Diseases and Disorders, Trees
Title: Ostrya virginiana Compatible with Juglone

QUESTION:

Is Ostrya virginiana sensitive to juglone?

ANSWER:

Juglone is the chemical produced by some members of the Juglandaceae family (particularly Juglans nigra, the black walnut) which is toxic to some plants. The Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs has a good webpage on Walnut Toxicity that has an extensive list of plants.

Ostrya virginiana, hop hornbeam is not on any of the Juglone tolerant or Juglone susceptible lists that can be found on the Internet, but there is a personal reference to seeing it thriving on a Native Habitat/Forest Management forum about black walnuts that does confirm that it is not susceptible.

Eastern hop-hornbeam
Ostrya virginiana

Eastern hop-hornbeam
Ostrya virginiana

Eastern hop-hornbeam
Ostrya virginiana

Black walnut
Juglans nigra

Black walnut
Juglans nigra

Black walnut
Juglans nigra

Black walnut
Juglans nigra