Thursday - May 14, 2015

From: Fort Myers, FL
Topic: Diseases and Disorders, Pruning, Shrubs
Title: Texas sage losing inner leaves

QUESTION:

I have a Texas Sage bush that on the outside is beautiful with green leaves. The inside branches (the middle) of the bush are bare of any leaves. Why?

ANSWER:

Leucophyllum frutescens (Cenizo), or Texas sage, is a dry land plant that responds very strongly to weather conditions.  It often loses leaves following a cold winter.  Interior leaves tend to drop off if the outer layer of leaves blocks incoming sunlight.  Some of these problems are discussed at this website.  Texas sage can be pruned severely if desired without permanent damage.  I suggest that you prune off some of the outer leaves.  The inner portion of the plant will then form new leaves.