Saturday - May 16, 2015

From: Crosby, TX
Topic: Plant Identification, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Identity of grass-like plant with white or cream flowers in The Woodlands, TX?

QUESTION:

What is the name of the tall grass-like plant with small white or cream flowers that is planted in most esplanades in The Woodlands, TX.?

ANSWER:

There is one possibility for a native grass-like plant with a spike of white or cream flowers—Nolina texana (Texas sacahuista).  However, if it isn't this plant, I don't have a good idea about what it might be.  Since I am not in or even near The Woodlands, I can't observe it myself.  If you have a photograph of the plants, your best bet to learn their identity is to go to our Plant Identification page to find links to several plant Identification forums that accept photos of plants for identification.

Texas sacahuista
Nolina texana

Texas sacahuista
Nolina texana