Tuesday - June 09, 2015

From: AUSTIN, TX
Topic: Diseases and Disorders, Trees
Title: Central branches on Texas Ash have died

QUESTION:

I have a Texas Ash tree that was planted about 4 years ago. It seemed fine last summer and was well watered. This spring, when it started leafing out, the central branches at the upper part of the tree did not leaf out. I have pictures that I would be happy to send you if it helps.

ANSWER:

Texas Ash (Fraxinus albicans) seems to be susceptible to the condition you describe, but diagnosing the exact cause of the problem is not possible without physical inspection of the tree.  You should have a professional arborist look at your tree to determine the cause of the branch death you're seeing.  Your county's AgriLife Extension Service agent might also be helpful in diagnosing the problem and recommending a course of action.