Monday - April 20, 2015

From: Buckannan Dam, TX
Topic: Non-Natives, Diseases and Disorders, Shrubs
Title: Teucrium resistant to Verticillium Wilt?

QUESTION:

Is Teucrium frutescans, or Bush Germander resistant to Verticillium Wilt? I cannot find it on a list anywhere.

ANSWER:

The Native Plant Database doesn't list Teucrium frutescans in the database as a native plant. There is a Teucrium fruticans that is native to the western and central mediterranean region. Teucrium though is not often attacked by verticillium wilt.  There is a good amount of information on the University of Minnesota Extension website about Verticillium Wilt.

Some native Teucrium for Texas have been included below.

Here's a question from a previous Mr. Smarty Plants on Shrubs for Central Texas that are Verticillium Resistant with a several more plants listed.

Canada germander
Teucrium canadense

Canada germander
Teucrium canadense

Coast germander
Teucrium cubense

Lacy germander
Teucrium laciniatum