Thursday - April 23, 2015

From: Deer Park, TX
Topic: Compost and Mulch, Diseases and Disorders, Herbs/Forbs, Trees
Title: Ground Arizona ash wood suitable for mulch?

QUESTION:

We cut down a 40 year old Arizona ash tree and had the stump ground into mulch. Can we use this mulch in our vegetable garden and flower beds

ANSWER:

I do not believe there is anything toxic about mulch made from ground Fraxinus velutina (Arizona ash) wood.  I would have only one reservation.  Arizona ash is susceptable to anthracnose fungal disease.  If you suspect that your ash was infected with this fungus you might not wish to risk transferring the disease to flowers or vegetables.  Otherwise it should be good mulch.