Sunday - June 21, 2015

From: Downingtown, PA
Title: Identification of plant with speckled green leaf

QUESTION:

I have a purple (or brown) speckled green leaf plant with tiny yellow daisy-like flowers. The leaf is fuzzy looking on the edge. Self seeds freely in my shady garden.

ANSWER:

Here are two plants native to Pennsylvania that look something like your description:

Erythronium americanum (Yellow trout-lily)

Hieracium venosum (Rattlesnake weed)

However, I think that probably your plant is not a plant native to North America.  Our focus and expertise are with plants native to North America and our database contains only native plants.  If it is not one of the plants above and you have photos of it, I suggest you visit our Plant Identification page to find links to plant identification forums that will accept photos of plants for identification.

Yellow trout-lily
Erythronium americanum

Rattlesnakeweed
Hieracium venosum

Rattlesnakeweed
Hieracium venosum