Sunday - June 21, 2015

From: Mason, TX
Topic: Problem Plants
Title: Source of dry molasses near Mason, Texas

QUESTION:

Can you guys point me to a local source of dry molasses? I can get 50 lb bags from Amazon but shipping cost is almost double the cost of the product. I want to try it as a supplement to mechanical control of prickly pear.

ANSWER:

From a Google search I found this from the Dirt Doctor, Howard Garrett with places to get components for starting compost (includes molasses dry and wet) in North Texas.   One of the places they recommend is a feed and seed store for dry molasses.  I would try those in your area.  Also, read the forum entries on the Dirt Doctor's page and you may find other possible sources.   Places like Home Depot and Lowes have liquid molasses for sale.  The Dirt Doctor suggests using either dry or liquid molasses to breakdown the piles of cactus that have been mechanically removed.  I don't see any suggestions that the molasses will control growth of the cactus if that's what you are looking for.