Friday - April 03, 2015

From: Fort Worth, TX
Topic: Edible Plants, Poisonous Plants
Title: Non Toxic Fruit Plants

QUESTION:

I am trying to plant on my backyard. My dog spends about 8 hours a day outdoors and I am afraid she will be poisoned. I am overwhelmed by the information of toxic trees\plants for dogs. However, I just want a simple answer about what fruit trees are safe for my dog? Also, are blackberry and blueberry plants dog friendly?

ANSWER:

The best place to go for information about plants that are toxic or non-toxic to dogs is the ASPCA website. From this list…

The toxic ones are apricot, plum, peach, cherry, apple,

Non-toxic plants include raspberry and strawberry.

There are many testimonials online about dogs eating blackberries (in moderation) without any toxic effect. The same is also true for blueberries.  But to be 100% safe ask your veterinarian to confirm this.