Monday - May 25, 2015

From: Kingsland, TX
Topic: Diseases and Disorders, Pests, Trees
Title: Falling Balls from an Oak in Kingsland TX
Answered by: Larry Larson

QUESTION:

I have a large Live Oak in the back yard, with St. Augustine grass under it. It is April 3, 2015. The leaves have fallen and now little tiny round balls are falling. I am hearing a popping noise under the tree all over the grass. Is this the Live Oak doing this?

ANSWER:

There have been a few Mr Smarty Plants question/answer pairs that sound a bit like this question, it sounds like your balls could either be flowers, immature acorns or oak galls depending on size and shape.  Heres some discussions to consider:

Acorns:
Abundance of acorns from Wimberley TX:   
The first picture below is labeled "Flower Buds"

Galls:

Identity of small objects that look like tiny pecans: 
Small tan balls on oak from Pipe Creek TX  
Leaf Galls on Live Oak  

A couple of these answers included the excellent suggestion to contact the local extension office.  As you’re in-between, here are the web addresses for both the Burnett County Extension Office and the Llano County Extension Office.  While at it, I also found that Prairie View A&M Cooperative Extension Program has an online article on Round Balls on Live Oaks, this indicates it might be caused by a small wasp.

Escarpment live oak
Quercus fusiformis

Escarpment live oak
Quercus fusiformis

Escarpment live oak
Quercus fusiformis

Escarpment live oak
Quercus fusiformis